At least 36 killed following shooting incident in Philippines

  • At least 36 killed following shooting incident in Philippines
02-06-2017 | Pratidin Bureau. |

At least 36 bodies have been found in a casino and hotel complex in Manila, the capital of Philippines following a shooting incident by a gunman.

The gunman began shooting at TV monitors in Resorts World Manila, with an assault rifle, sending terrified patrons fleeing. More than 54 people also suffered injuries, some of them seriously.

The gunman also killed himself by setting himself on fire.

Philippine police said that the man’s motive was likely robbery and that the incident was not terror related.

 Authorities said most of the dead appear to have suffocated from thick smoke after the man set fire to casino tables.

The Philippines has been on heightened alert amid a crisis in the south of the country, where troops have been battling Islamist rebels since May 23.

President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law on the southern island of Mindanao last week and has warned it could become a haven for supporters fleeing Iraq and Syria.
 

Tags : 36 killed shooting Philippines Manila Rodrigo Duterte gunman


Comments.
Leave a reply.