Devastating fire claims 3 lives of a family at Sualkuchi

249

Three persons including an 18 month old child were killed in a devastating fire that broke out on wee hours of Wednesday at a shopping complex in Sualkuchi, Assam’s Manchester of Orient in Kamrup district.

Police said that fire broke out due to short circuit in a cloth shop at Achyut Plaza situated at MN Road in the silk town and within a few minutes it engulfed the entire complex. The owner of the shopping complex resided on second floor of the building.

“Though fire tenders were rushed to the spot immediately after the fire broke out to douse the fire, the servicemen faced hurdles to go upstairs as the collapsible gate was locked from inside. There were poisonous gases around due to the fire of Pat and Muga clothes. We suspect the casuality was due to poisonous gas”, said a police official.

Police blamed the owner of the shopping complex as the complex was developed in a congested manners as there were not enough space for fire tender men to move. The fire was doused by four fire tenders after almost one hour of fire broke out.
The dead have been identified as Lohit Kakati, his daughter Kabita Mahanta and her son Mayukh Mahanta (18 months old). Three others critically injured in the incident were sent to Gauhati Medical Hospital ( GMCH) for further treatment.

You might also like