24 killed in Iran military parade attack

1,127

Four Gunmen fired on a military parade  in the Iranian city of Ahvaz on Saturday killing at least 24 people, including 12 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) personnel were killed and 53 injured after unidentified gunmen targeted a military parade in southwestern Iran’s Ahvaz city.

This has been one of the worst attacks on the elite force. The attackers targeted a stand where Iranian officials were gathered to watch an annual event marking the start of the Islamic Republic’s 1980-88 war with Iraq.

The security forces killed two gunmen while other two were arrested, said  Ali Hosein Hoseinzadeh  the local deputy governor.

No group has said it carried out the attack, which lasted for about 10 minutes.

However, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said: “Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their US masters accountable.”

Iran has previously accused its regional rival, Saudi Arabia, of supporting separatist activity amongst Iran’s Arab minority.

Attacks on the military are rare in Iran.

The Islamic State killed 18 people last year in Tehran Last year, at the parliament and mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

 

(Featured image : BBC.com)

 

You might also like