#MeToo: M J Akbar to issue statement on allegations

New Delhi: File photo of Minister of State for External Affairs and former founding editor of 'The Telegraph' MJ Akbar who has been accused of inappropriate behaviour and sexual harassment by multiple women online. (PTI Photo) (PTI10_10_2018_000155B)
382

Amid calls for his resignation over allegations of sexual misconduct by several women over the last few days,  Union minister MJ Akbar arrived in Delhi Sunday morning but refrained from speaking on the claims.

The Minister of State for External Affairs, replying to the questions from reporters said “There will be a statement later”.

Multiple women have alleged Akbar of sexually harrasing them when he was a journalist  as the #MeToo movement swept social media, bringing to fore sordid tales of sexual harassment by influential men in different walks of lives.

There was an indication by the BJP that it is likely to take a clear stand on allegations of sexual harassment against Akbar once he explains his position upon his return.

However Bharatiya Janata Party has maintained a studied silence on the matter so far but according to party sources his continuance as a minister is no longer guaranteed as charges against him are serious

A final call will be taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the sources said.

You might also like
Comments
Loading...