The Supreme Court is hearing a plea of Congress, Shiv Sena and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) against Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari’s decision of inviting BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis to form the government in the State.
CATCH LIVE UPDATES:
Supreme Court issues notice to Centre, Maharashtra Govt, Devendra Fadnavis and Ajit Pawar on Congress-NCP-Shiv Sena’s plea. We request Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to produce relevant documents from Guv’s letter for inviting BJP to form govt & letter of support of MLAs by 10.30 am tomorrow.
- There are some things that are with the President which are not even open to judicial intervention: Mukul Rohtagi.
- Supreme Court has consistently ordered floor tests to be held immediately whether it’s in UP in 1998 or Karnataka in 2018. May the best person win, let’s have the composite floor today or tomorrow: AM Singhvi.
- The best way to decide this is to have a floor test and the source of this is the SR Bommai judgment. The idea to hold a quick floor test is to prevent horse-trading: Singhvi.
- How can Ajit Pawar be Deputy CM when 41 NCP MLAs have said that “we are with NCP and we don’t recognise him as NCP leader anymore: Singhvi.
- The NCP had a meeting yesterday removing Ajit Pawar expelling him from the post. Out of 54 MLAs (of NCP), 41 have signed it and was given to the Governor this morning: Abhishek Manu Singhvi.
- The people of Maharashtra need a government. When we are saying we have the majority we are ready to show it. We are ready to show the majority tomorrow. We have seen this in Karnataka also. If they (BJP) have the majority, then let them show their majority: Kapil Sibal
- Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Maharashtra BJP in Supreme Court says, “I don’t know why there is hearing on Sunday, there should not be any hearing on Sunday. According to me this matter (Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress’ plea) should not be listed.”
- When somebody had announced at 7 pm that we are forming govt, the act of Governor is biased, malafide, contrary to all laws established by this Court: Kapil Sibal
- The majority is 145 seats in the state. Pre-poll alliance comes first. The pre poll alliance broke down. Now, we are relying on post-poll alliance.: Sibal
- Kapil Sibal apologises to the Supreme Court bench for the hearing on a Sunday and says, “But we are not the only ones to blame”.
- Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta, Additional Solicitor-General KM Nataraj, senior counsels and Congress leaders Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Kapil Sibal, and Devadatt Kamat are present in the courtroom.
- Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala and former Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan are present in the court. NCP leader and lawyer Majeed Memon was also present.
- Supreme Court’s three-judge bench of Justice NV Ramana, Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice Sanjiv Khanna, start hearing the joint plea of Shiv Sena, NCP & Congress against the decision of Maharashtra Governor inviting Devendra Fadnavis to form government yesterday.