As the ticket distribution process of the BJP has taken a shape in the entire North east, it has emerged that Sarbananda Sonowal has outmaneuvered Himanta Biswa Sharma and made the latter weaker in the process.
Unlike the popular perception, except Pradan Barua in Lakhimpur seat, Himanta Biswa Sharma could not manage any of his choice in the ticket distribution. In almost all the seats, his choices were denied.
In Diphu, he wanted wife of Tuli Ram Ronghang but it was given to Haren Singh Bey. In Mangaldoi he wanted Jayanta Malla Barua, but was given to Dilip Saikia. He himself was denied ticket at Tezpur. In Guwahati, although he openly did not back anyone but Queen Ojha is a known Sarbananda Sonowal camp from the AASU days.
The latest round of development has made the powerful BJP leader weak as in North Eastern Politics, the NEDA has become brittle and most of his choices were ignored in other North eastern States. With Mizoramn amd Meghlaya going on its own, NEDA is only in paper.
The biggest humiliation came in Tezpur seat, where he self nominated himself removing all other contenders from the panel only to be snubbed at the Central Election Committee meeting which was chaired by BJP president Amit Shah and Prime Minister Narendra Modi was also present.
Now he is trying hard for his candidate Pallab Lochan Das as the Tezpur Lok Sabha nominee from the party.
Here is a full list of with camp followers
- Lakhimpur – Pradan Barua -Himanta Biswa Sharma/Sarbananda Sonowal
- Dibrugarh- Rameshwar Teli – Sarbananda Sonowal
- Jorhat – Tapan Gogoi -Sarbananda Sonowal
- Tezpur : To be decided
- Nagaon- Roopak Sharma- Himanta Biswa Sharma
- Guwahati – Queen Ojha-Sarbananda Sonowal
- Dipu -Harensingh Bey-Sarbananda Sonowal
- Mangaldkoi- Dilip Ranjan Saikia-Sarbananda Sonowal
- Karimganj – Kripanath Mallah-Sarbananda Sonowal
- Silchar – Rajdeep Roy-Sarbananda Sonowal