Dhanteras, celebrated two days ahead of Diwali, falls on the 2nd of November this year. The festival celebrates prosperity as Maa Lakshmi, Kuber, Dhanvantari Ji and Yamraj, the god of death are worshipped. People buy gold and silver utensils or items during this time as a mark of prosperity.
Auspicious Timings: Dhanteras is celebrated on the Trayodashi date of Kartik Krishna Paksha. The date is on November 2 at 11.31 AM and end on November 3 at 09:02 AM. Pradosh Kaal will remain from 05:35 pm to 08:11 pm. The timing of Dhanteras Puja will be from 06:17 PM to 08:11 PM in the evening. The timing of Yama Deepam will be from 05:35 PM to 06:53 PM.
What To Buy:
- Metals: Gold and Silver Items; people prefer to buy coins with Goddess Lakshmi or Lord Ganesh’s images.
- Electronics: Refrigerators, TVs, ACs, Laptops, etc.
- Furniture: General revamping the interiors.
- Utensils: Silver or Brass utensils.
- Broomsticks: A must buy as it is associated with Goddess Lakshmi, believed to remove negative forces.
What To Avoid:
- Sharp Objects: Avoid buying scissors, knives, etc.
- Black Objects: Generally associated with bad luck.
- Aluminum or Plastic Products: Generally these are avoided and metals like gold or silver are purchased.