1. When did it start?
As much as we love to celebrate Fools day, we don’t know when and how it got started! There are several theories, but none of them is a perfect or confirmed one. Some historians believe that the tradition of April Fools’ Day dates back to 1392.
2. The April Fools’ Day is also linked to the ancient Roman festival of Hilaria.
3. April Fish : The most famous prank by the French, the originators of Fool’s day is to stick a paper fish on someone’s body without their knowledge and to shout “April Fish.” Sounds so childish and exciting and fun right?
4. When do you think the first Fool’s day got celebrated? Well, the record of the first Fool’s day was found out to be in 1392, which means that the celebrations might have started then or before that.
5. BBC and April Fools’ Day
In 1976, BBC announced that on that day the gravity of earth would be reduced by a certain level and whoever jumped in the air would lightly float in the air! People who hadn’t noticed the date might have jumped to realize that mother earth cannot lose its attraction and that’s where BBC’s mission might have been accomplished.
In 2008, BBC again telecasted news saying penguins in Antarctica started flying. It’s not just that! It stated that those penguins had flown to South America’s tropical rainforests.
6. A two days celebration : In Scotland, people celebrate two days as fools’ days! The second is called “Taily day,” in which people play pranks only using one’s back part. That is they stick papers saying, “Kick me” and so on to one’s back and enjoy!
7. A trip to Mars : A travel site once announced on April first that it’s offering a trip to Mars for a specified period! A trip to the angry red planet is appealing, but the announcement date would have been checked if not the authenticity!
8. Tragic Fools day in history : In 1945, the weather broadcast department announced a tsunami in Pacific Island on April first and since the many thought that it was a prank, they didn’t mind the announcement and what to say next? The big tragedy hit!
9. Royal fool’s day : The Korean royal family is allowed to lie and play pranks on April first.
10. Fools mail : Google launched Gmail on the eve of April fool’s day, and everyone thought that it was a prank due to its unbelievably good features! But the company really launched the mail king of today!
11. In many traditions, people do not follow the fool’s day on the first of April, but they do follow it on a different day! What’s in a date? Fun and fooling is the flavor.
12. In some countries, people throw flour at each other as the part of festivities.