‘One Family One Job’ scheme under Scanner

379

The new administration of Sikkim cancelled more than 40% of the appointments made under ‘One Family One Job’ launched by the previous Pawan Chamling government earlier this year.

The new government headed by P S Golay cancelled more than 8000 appointments claiming that these were made illegally. On May 31, the department of personnel ordered cancellation of the appointment of those who joined duty after the model code of conduct came into force on March 10.

The Assembly and Lok Sabha polls in Sikkim went of simultaneously on April 11. Chamling, seeking a record sixth term as chief minister had rolled out its ‘one family one job’ scheme in January last announcing that the administration will appoint 20,000 people.

Under the scheme, 12000 youths were given temporary jobs in the first phase and Sikkim became a state with every sixth person holding a government job. The state that has 0.62 million population according to the Census 2011 has 0.1 million state government employees.

Political Secretary to CM Golay, Jacob Khaling said that the number of those who were appointed and who joined their duties after the model code of conduct came into force is more than 8000.

Khaling said that the earlier government did not follow recruitment rules and there are no proper records of who were appointed and on what basis. He further said that there are even instances where five members of the same family were recruited, graduates being appointed as peons and class 10 pass outs being appointed as lower divisional clerks and B. Tech graduates as sweepers.

He further informed that the government will also set up an inquiry committee and verify everything before jobs are given to the deserving youths.

You might also like