UN seeks international probe into Rohingya genocide

1,164

United Nations (UN) investigators on Tuesday called for an international probe and prosecution of Myanmar’s army chief and five other top military commanders for genocide against the country’s Rohingya minority.

UN-backed fact-finding mission today said that “Myanmar’s top military generals, including Commander-in-Chief Senior-General Min Aung Hlaing, must be investigated and prosecuted for genocide in the north of Rakhine State, as well as for crimes against humanity and war crimes in Rakhine, Kachin and Shan States”.

UN officials and human rights watchers have for months pointed to evidence of genocide in Myanmar, and the United States late last year said that ‘ethnic cleansing’ was occurring in Myanmar.

Around 7 lakh Rohingya Muslims fled northern Rakhine state to Bangladesh after Myanmar launched a brutal crackdown in August last year on insurgents amid accounts of arson, murder and rape at the hands of soldiers and vigilante mobs in the mainly Buddhist country.

Following the report of UN backed Human rights Council, Facebook today banned Myanmar’s army chief and removed other pages tied to the country’s military.

 

(Featured Image – Press TV)

You might also like