The Guwahati Traffic Police has issued several restrictions in the movement of vehicular traffic in view of upcoming festival Chhath Puja on November 19 and 20.
According to the official order passed by the Deputy Commissioner of Traffic Police, restrictions on the movement of vehicular traffic have been imposed in Guwahati from 1 pm on November 19 (Sunday) till the departure of devotees from puja locations in the evening.
Meanwhile, on November 20 (Monday), the restrictions shall start with effect from 1 am and end after devotees depart from all locations.
The following are the traffic restrictions imposed on the two days:
1. No vehicles, except the vehicles carrying the devotees shall be allowed to ply on the stretch of MG Road between Apollo Point to Cotton Collegiate School Point.
2. All vehicles including City Buses coming from Bharalumukh side towards Panbazar and Chandmari side will be diverted at Apollo point towards HB Road via TRP Road or via AT Road. Thereafter at NB Hall Point, these vehicles shall take left turn and move via FC Road, Tayabullah Road and GNB Road.
3. All vehicles including City buses coming from Chandmari side towards Panbazar, Bharalumukh and Jalukbari shall be diverted via TC point via District Library, RBI Point, Oasis Point and thereafter take left turn at Panbazar Over Bridge North Point towards Panbazar Over Bridge South Point, and ply via AT Road towards Athgoan flyover to Bharalumukh and Jalukbari.
4. The light vehicles from TC Point side via GNB Road towards Panbazar and Fancybazar shall be diverted via District Library, KLB road and HB road.
5. All light vehicles from Uzanbazar, Latasil side towards Bharalumukh side shall be diverted via BC Road, Tayabulllah Road and GNB Road.
6. All City Buses coming from Khanapara towards Bharalumukh, Jalukbari shall be diverted via AT Road from Panbazar ROB south point.
7. All heavy vehicles including inter district buses and red colour rural service buses operating under ASTC (except city buses and vehicles carrying devotees) coming from Jalukbari shall not be allowed to enter into the City. All these vehicles will be diverted via NH-37 at Jalukbari.
8. Similarly, from Jalukbari, Lokhra, Garchuk and Sixmile, entry of trucks shall be restricted on 19.11.2023 and 20.11.2023.
9. On the stretch of HB Road, from Sani Mandir to Panbazar police point, traffic shall be allowed for both ways during the puja period.
Parking of vehicles:
1. The vehicles carrying devotees from Bharalumukh side shall be allowed to park their vehicles on MG Road from Apollo Point to FA Road and MG Road crossing, TRP Road, Lakhi Goli, Chambers' Road, MS Road and SRCB Road.
2. At Sonaram HS School ghat all vehicles shall be parked inside the field.
No Parking zone:
1. AT Road, from Bharalumukh to Panbazar Over Bridge South Point will be kept clear of parked vehicles from 7.00am of 19.11.2023.
2. On MLN Road, ARB Road, SS Road, SRCB Road and HB Road, TRP Road parking of vehicles shall not be allowed.
3. No trucks shall be allowed to park at TRP Road, Lakhi Goli, Chambers Road, SRCB Road, Kedar Road, M.S. Road etc. from 7.00am onwards of 19.11.2023 till the departure of devotees.
Chhath is an ancient Hindu festival which is dedicated to the solar deity, Surya, to show gratitude and thankfulness for bestowing the bounties of life on earth.